Southern California Chinese Lawyers Association
APABA's Judicial Pipeline Project (2020 Class) - Apply by June 8, 2020
APABA is now accepting applications for its 2020 Judicial Pipeline Project, an effort to:
Among the Pipeline Project’s features:
APABA has hosted its Pipeline Project since 2016. Sister bar members who have been members of the California Bar for at least 10 years can apply HERE until June 8, 2020.
Questions? Contact Public Appointments and Judicial Endorsements Committee Chair Roger Hsieh.
The 2020 SCCLA Scholarship & Fellowship Application is now open!
*Due to Covid-19, the 2020 Scholarship & Fellowship is postponed until further notice. The Scholarship Application period will reopen upon confirmation of a new date for our 45th Anniversary Installation & Awards Banquet. If you already submitted a Scholarship / Fellowship application prior to April 6, 2020, we encourage you to resubmit your applications once the application period is reopened. Thank you.
SCCLA annually awards several $1,000 Scholarships and $2,000 Fellowships to local law students with a demonstrated interest in the Asian Pacific American community and/or causes. SCCLA Scholarships are awarded based on (1) financial need, (2) academic accomplishments, and/or (3) active involvement or future contribution to the Chinese American and/or Asian Pacific American community. SCCLA Fellowships are awarded to law students who have secured a law clerk position at Asian Americans Advancing Justice - LA for an upcoming semester. LLMs and Law students at all levels are encouraged to apply.
Law students must submit all applications electronically HERE by
Monday, April 6 at 5:30 PM.
For questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Good luck!
APABA's Judicial Pipeline Project (2019 Class) - Application Extended to June 3, 2019
APABA is now accepting applications for its 2019 Judicial Pipeline Project, an effort to:
· Identify and provide outreach to potential qualified candidates for administrative, trial, and appellate judicial offices in the state and federal systems
· Assist and advise these candidates in the application and vetting process and the judicial election process, including establishment of a formal mentorship program involving APA judges; and
· Create and cultivate relationships to facilitate the appointment of APAs to the bench.
The Pipeline Project will evaluate and assess individuals accepted into the program and tailor its resources to prepare these candidates for the bench. Among the Pipeline Project’s features:
· Confidential Judicial Mentor/Mentee Program. Candidates may have an opportunity to be paired with state or federal judicial officers to discuss, among other things, the candidates' plans for the bench.
· Application Counseling. Candidates will work closely with APABA’s network of advisors to prepare the best possible judicial application.
· Endorsement Counseling. Although participation in the project does not in any way guarantee that candidates will be endorsed by any organizations, the Pipeline Project will advise candidates on obtaining community support for their applications to the extent possible.
· Post-Application Guidance. Candidates will be counseled on what to do after their applications for judicial officer positions are submitted
· Interview Counseling. If a candidate’s name is submitted to the various vetting and rating organizations, the Pipeline Project will assist the candidate in preparing for interviews with those organizations.
Our pipeline project advisors -- Judge Holly Fujie, Judge Rupa Goswami, Judge Wendy Chang, and Chair of the State Bar of California Board of Trustees Jason Lee -- and other bench officers have supported this effort since its inception in 2016. Sister bar members who have been members of the California Bar for at least 10 years can apply here until June 3, 2019.
Questions? Contact Christina Yang or Roger Hsieh, Co-Chairs of APABA's Judicial Endorsements and Public Appointments Committee, at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
P.O. Box 711114
Los Angeles, California 90071-1114